MINUTES AND THE PROFESSIONAL COMMITTEE SECRETARY
This one-day seminar provides attendees with an understanding
of: what minutes are and how they are constructed, the
role and responsibilities of a minute-taker, the preparation
required in order to be able to take minutes effectively
and different approaches to taking minutes. We look at
the note taking process, drafting the minutes and the
finalisation of these. We also look at business English,
provide guidance on layout and have a look at some examples
of minutes and the supporting documentation.
• Meetings: the processes and procedures and associated
• The role, duties and responsibilities of the
secretary and how to build self-confidence and expertise.
• Preparation required in order to ensure a professional
set of minutes is produced.
• Minutes: taking notes, drafting the minutes
and finalising these (including: an overview of the mechanics
of writing, writing aids, spidergrams, separating messages
from words and summarising rather than transcribing).
• Business English, with a brief look at sentences,
paragraphs, diction and punctuation.
• Layout, including: typing rules, numbering,
fonts, margins, bullets and headings.
• Standard documents, including the: notice, request,
agendas and minutes.